Monday 27 February 2012

Asbury Park Press, N.J., Trouble Shooter Column.

Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Aug. 6 -- QUESTION: I accepted a collect telephone call that was supposed to come from AT&T. The person who contacted me said, "You have a call. Will you accept it? It will be charged to AT&T."

Then I get the bill. The charge of $11.24 for four minutes was from another long-distance carrier.

The person who called me has stock in AT&T and would not ask for or accept another phone company.

The person from the company that charged me said she could not accept my verbal reasoning.

It took me an hour to speak to someone from AT&T yesterday. Did you ever have to call the phone company? They say I have to call the company that billed me. They were no help.

-- E.F., Lakewood

ANSWER: Because you accepted the call, it is unlikely you will persuade the long-distance carrier to turn its billing for this call over to AT&T. And is it really worth your time to fight it?

You and the person who called you can discuss with each of your phone service providers how you might be able to avoid this in the future.

Q: I sent for a flashlight from a mail-order company in January. It didn't work. I was not happy with it and sent it back.

I still have not received my refund. I mailed it back right away and even sent the company a followup letter.

-- J.M., Dover Township

A: The company says it is sending you a full refund of $9.95.

Q: I have a book, "The Jews: Prediction and Fulfillment," by Kellogg. The first page reads copyright 1883 by Anson D.F. Randolph and Co.

Could you tell me if this book has any value?

-- J.P., Monmouth Beach

A: It has no unusual value, says Richard Weiner of Escargot Books in Brielle. It could bring about $15, he says.

Trouble Shooter cannot accept inquiries by telephone. Letters may be mailed to Trouble Shooter, Asbury Park Press, 3601 Highway 66, Box 1550, Neptune, N.J. 07754-1551.

Letters may be sent by Internet at troubleapp.com or fax (732) 922-4818.

Readers must include their own names and addresses and should authorize agencies to disclose relevant information to this column. Please submit photocopies of documents; originals may not be returned.

Visit the Asbury Park Press on the World Wide Web at http://www.injersey.com/app

No comments:

Post a Comment